Friday, January 22, 2010

World Water Monitoring Day


The World Water Monitoring Day organization sent me 4 water testing kits and 50 pamphlets written in French. Louiders, his sister Soyrina, and I have tested water at 4 sites, plus the tap water from the UCI cistern. (The plan was to distribute the kits among the schools that I visited, but schools and meetings are canceled due to the earthquake). We tested the tap water here at UCI where I could more thoroughly explain the kit to Louiders, and he in turn used the kit to teach 7-year old Myriam (in yellow) about water quality. Myriam is from one of the families displaced by the earthquake. She is very smart, can read English even if she doesn't know the meaning. I have been teaching her ecology using the worksheets that I intended to distribute at the schools. I have also been sharing my other teaching resources (books, binoculars, coloring activities) with the kids who are now living here.
The photos show the river crossing north of the Bohoc market, and a well from which people get their water.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, schools and colleges organize water pollution awareness programs at this day and it is healthy way to teach them about water monitoring.
    water sampling equipment from aquaread

    ReplyDelete