Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Noon update Wed. 13 Jan.

The internet is incredibly slow, so this might be my last update, and I won't check email for awhile. No worries if you don't hear from me for a couple days, we are fine here. Schools are canceled, and people are having prayer vigils throughout the town. Neighbors and relatives keep coming over to see the pictures on the internet. I don't know what the runway in PAP is like. I leave the 29th, so we'll see what happens. The little MAF plane flies lands on the same runway in PAP as the international flights, and then JeanJean's brother Jehu gives me a ride for the 3 blocks it takes to get to the international airport. Jehu's son was trapped in a medical school all night. JeanJean hasn't heard from Jehu (he's in the photo on my 1st post). I think someone from JJ's family is going to PAP to try to find relatives.

I'm glad I am here so that friends in the U.S. can feel the impact of the devastation rather than it just being another news event. The atmosphere is much like that in the U.S. after 911. Half of the 8 mill. or so people live in PAP, so everyone has family there. On a positive note I will teach at another nutrition center tomorrow afternoon, and go on another bird hike Friday morning. Today I worked with Louiders to teach him more ecology. I gave up trying to explain pH (hydrogen ion concentration of pH)! Next year we'll work on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment