Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ti Zwazo Kote W A Prale - Kreyol bird book

My 1st day in Haiti and I found bird books in Kreyol! My guide Jehu (the brother-in-law of my hosts) took me on a tour of Port au Prince the capital & Petionville, and we stopped an office building that had bird books in Kreyol & French, so I bought some of both. One was the book I used last year that I bought from the author Florence Sergile who lives in Florida. But I gave them all away last year and she didn't have anymore in the US. I visited the Musee du Pantheon, a really nice museum that tells the history of Haiti. It even has the anchor from the Santa Maria. We went to another museum at a Baptist mission that had a hodgepodge of displays. It would be a great project for one of my KU museum studies classes! Here's an interesting blog about it. The museum did have a map of the mammals of Haiti, which was a good find since there aren't many mammals & not much popular information about them. There was also a sad little zoo with a monkey, 2 goats, a crocodile in a tiny cement enclosure, doves, and lots of rabbits with 2 guinea pigs. Here's a picture of Jehu and me at Fort Jacques, as well as scenes from the drive up to the fort. The cool mountainous air felt good! My schedule is off from traveling, I think I'll try to go back to bed. In the morning my hosts here in the capital, Michael & Karen Broyles, take me to the MAF airport where Michael is a missionary pilot. I'll meet up with Mike W. and we'll fly to Pignon and stay with JeanJean & Kristie!

6 comments:

  1. Hi

    So glad to get your email and that you're okay. We were worried when Marty came home and said there'd been an earthquake. How are you guys doing? Has the earthquake changed your plans and if so, how?
    Love ya Aunt Debbie!! The Chapin Clan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, this is Diane Shaffer, a long time friend of your mom and dad's. Infact your mom was in my wedding. I'm so glad you are ok, and we will pray that the man missing will be found. God has brought you this far, and He w/continue to be the 4th man in the fire w/you until there is no more fire. Pls know we are praying for you and the team. You are thought about and prayed over daily. Stay safe. Love, lots of hugs, lots of prayers, and can't wait to hear about the miracles that God has done and is doing there in the midst of it all. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie - We are so happy to hear that you are okay! - The Gielas Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to say you're still in our prayers, and we're still praying. We're so proud of all of you for sacrificing comforts of home to minister to those who need Jesus. Stay safe, and know you're not alone! Have a very blessed day!!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie,
    I apologize for not writing to you earlier this past week, but we want you to know that you and the people of Haiti have been and will continue to be in our prayers. Praying God's strength and peace be surrounding you.
    Paula and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie,
    This is Mary Kay, I worked with you mom at MAOG. So happy you are doing well. I will keep you in my prayers and wish a safe return at the end of the month

    ReplyDelete