Sunday, June 12, 2011

Three Pairs of Shoes*

If you're going to Haiti bring three pairs of shoes. A sturdy walking pair that dries quickly, like Tevas or Keens, and two pairs of flipflops, one for walking around outside in the compound, and one for inside the dorm. My checked luggage didn't come in our our international flight, I didn't get it until 5 days later. The thing I missed most was my flipflops. I had my Keens on me, but they're not easy to slip on and off when I'm going in and out of the dorm or house. And my feet were getting dirty from the dorm floor (relatively clean but with a team of 23 people it gets dusty). So then I had my routine of wiping my feet on a towel before getting into bed each night. Fortunately, I always pack with the assumption that my check luggage will be delayed or lost, so I had all the basics with me carryon.

*I haven't yet read Three Cups of Tea, but it's on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment