Monday, March 19, 2012

Haitian art in Kansas

I recently discovered a gift shop here in Lawrence Kansas that sells Haitian art, and even has a Creole name: Kretyen (it’s next to Pisano’s on 25th St.). They sell fair trade art, bags, coffee, chocolate, etc. from various countries. The Haitian art is mainly the metal work made out of steel drums. Click for a cool video about how it’s made. And here are some pictures of the metal work I’ve bought in Haiti.

Missionary Barb taught an art class in which I taught about birds in 2009. I met the young man Wilnot who made these paintings. The one on the left is early Wilnot, the one on right is a later piece by him. Barb had to leave Haiti, I don’t know if anyone took over the art class. It was a great way to teach the parts of the birds and for the students (adults and kids) to become really familiar with the different birds.

The University of Kansas Spencer Museum of Art recently acquired Haitian art. I don’t know when it will be exhibited but click here for the 2007 Haitian art exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment